Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cheer Up Sleepy Jean

"Our good times starts and ends...
without dollar one to spend..."

-Davy Jones



November 20th
Sheraton Hotel
Framingham, MA
USA
Super Megafest


I walk up to Peter Tork timidly (mind you, I'm a grown man but, when I see a member of the Monkees I'm 8 years old):
"Peter, may I have your autograph?"
Peter: "Sure!"
I hand him my "Monkees Greatest Hits" cd cover:
"I also like to buy your album. Great performance last night!"
Peter: "Tell you what, I'll also sign that for you free of charge."
Me: "Thanks! I can't believe that I actually get to meet you! I met Mickey a couple of years ago!"
Peter: "I know."
Me (dork): "How?"
Peter (duh): "You got his autograph here on the cover."
Me: "Oh... I still can't believe it though! I used to watch you guys every day after school when I was kid."
Peter: "Really? You don't look that old."
Me: "Oh, it was back in the 80's. They showed the Monkees on a local station. I knew of the Monkees even before I learned about the Beatles."
Peter: "Haha! I can't compare us to the Beatles."
Me: "Yeah, I know... 'The Beatles!' They didn't even play their own instruments!"
Peter: "HAHA! Where did you watch us?"
Me: "WLVI Channel 56 Boston."
Peter: "I mean where are you from?"
Me: "Oh, Massachusetts... Boston..."
Peter (smiles): "Oh... Well, enjoy the cd and make sure you let the ink dry before you put it back in the case."
Me: "Thanks! Thank you so much Peter! It's a pleasure!"
Peter: "No, Thank you John! It's nice to meet you!"


As I walk away a bolt of embarrassing realization ran down my spine. DOH! Peter Tork was asking "Where" I had watched the Monkees because I'm Asian. I could have told him that my mother had watched them in Vietnam back in the late 60's on one of the US Armed Forces Station. The station also broadcasted shows like I Love Lucy and The Ed Sullivan Show. That would have been a far more interesting story than, "duh, I'd watched you guys here in Boston, duh..." At least I didn't creep Peter Tork out the way I creeped out Felicia Day. At least Felicia Day didn't mind taking a picture with me I guess.

Peter Tork performed at the concert on the first night of Super Megafest. Not only did he play songs from his current band, Shoes Suede Blues, he also performed a very jazzy/bluesy version of "Last Train to Clarksville" also, live versions of "I'm a Believer" and "Daydream Believer." My mother was sitting next to me and told me, "I had a crush on Davy Jones when I was a teenager." I replied, "Yeah, sure mom! You and Marcia Brady and a ton of other girls in the 60's." Despite my snarky comment, I enjoyed the cover of "Daydream Believer" done by Peter Tork and Shoe Suede Blues. In fact, "Daydream Believer" is one of my favorite songs. It was one of the songs that I learned to follow the beat, sing on key and not shame myself. In fact sing it very well at karaoke. I bet I can charm girls from 60's with it. You can take that as good thing or a sad thing. I'll go with good!


In any case, Davy Jones is one of my favorites. It was the intro to "Daydream Believer" that got me to relate to him:
Chip Douglas: "7A." (referring to the take of the song)
Davy Jones: "What number is this, Chip?"
Chip Douglas and others in unison (annoyed): "7A!"
Davy Jones: "Okay. Know what I mean, like don't get excited, man. It's 'cause I'm short, I know.."


I was also a short kid but, knowing Davy Jones accepts his physical stature... that he's ok with it... and also Marcia Brady having a crush on him even though he's the shortest of the Monkees, all of a sudden it was ok to be who I am. Just have confidence like Davy Jones. That's what I got out of it. Thank you Davy Jones. Thanks for all the laughs and the great the music. Your story and the story of the Monkees is always inspirational. Starting off as a joke band, a parody to The Beatles. As time went on the Monkees became legitimate musicians and had a huge impact in Pop Culture.


R.I.P. Davy Jones. I'm sad that I'll never be able to meet you (I'm so jealous of Marcia Brady right now) and get your autograph on the cover my "Monkees Greatest Hits" but, in the spirit of the Monkees: I will continue to be optimistic and goof off because, somewhere out there a Sleepy Jean needs some cheering up.

- a fellow Daydream Believer


Oh I could hide 'neath the wings of the bluebird as she sings
The six o'clock alarm would never ring
But it rings and I rise, wipe the sleep out of my eyes
My shaving razor's cold and it stings

Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?

You once thought of me as a white knight on his
steed
Now you know how happy I can be
Oh, and our good time starts and ends
With a dollar one to spend
But how much baby do we really need?

Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?
Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?

Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?
Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?

No comments:

Post a Comment