Monday, July 23, 2012

Some Heavy Thoughts

Originally, I didn't want to address the Aurora, CO incident. GroggyBot is a way for me to escape reality for a bit and kind of sort out my thoughts. My hope is that I can provide entertainment value for my readers while doing so. But a few hrs before my viewing of the Dark Knight Rises, I felt angry and scared. The incident really hits close to home. When I first watched the original Star Wars in a theater, I forever became a fan of the cinema. I love the energy, the excitement, the inspiration (even though I still get uncomfortable in a crowd) and for an hr or two in the dark, I get to share this moment with some like minds. The theater is my second home.

I didn't want to post about the incident because it's already over saturated. But I can't stop thinking about all the lives destroyed because they wanted to dream, to be inspired, to escape reality for 2hrs and 45min. The movie was highly anticipated. Advance tickets were sold out weeks before the premier. People were happy in hopes of watching a great movie... just WTF?!

We all have our coping mechanisms. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone for wanting to know more about the incident but, I beg for our professional journalist friends to please stop making this asshole famous and giving him the attention that he sought out. What about stories on the cops who apprehended him? Also, this is an act of one insane individual. The cause is much deeper and complex than just our favorite scapegoats: Video Games, Movies, Comic Books and Music

If that were the case, don't you think we'd have a nation of killers instead of these few individuals? I had a lot more to write about but, I don't want to add to the over saturation. I think I'm done venting.

If you like to help out in some way, here are a few links to look into:

American Red Cross

Colorado Organization for Victim Assistance

Hero Relief Organization

A Light in the Dark

Patton Oswalt shared this on his Facebook. At 1:40, Dr. Park Dietz a Forensic Psychiatrists gives some superb points:

No comments:

Post a Comment